Traffic in west El Paso getting heavy due to GO10 construction
EL PASO, Texas —
Drivers passing through West El Paso are hitting heavy rush-hour-style traffic early in the day due to the GO10 interstate expansion project.
"It's pretty hard to merge, with all the cars," West El Paso resident Zachary Chavez said.
The left lanes on I-10 east and west are blocked from around Sunland Park to Executive Center. Texas Department of Transportation representatives saidcrews are repairing a median.
"It's difficult. You have to budget extra time for traffic," West El Paso resident Angela Lipkin said.
This closure will run every day until Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
CBS4 tested the commute and found out it takes about 4 minutes to drive 1 mile.
TXDOT said night closures will occur from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. through Friday. The closures will be at:
- Westbound Resler exit
- Westbound N. Mesa entrance
- Right lane of N. Mesa in direction headed toward Remcon Circle from North to South Desert Boulevard
Closures beginning Monday, May 9 include:
- Eastbound N. Mesa exit ramp
- S. Desert Blvd. frontage road
- Right lane on N. Mesa in direction headed toward Doniphan Drive between North and South Desert Boulevard
The interstate expansion project is scheduled to be complete in 2019.