TABC says two bars not responsible in shootings

The first shooting happened at Barfly in east El Paso in January, when a 19-year-old man was shot and killed.

Two bars are now cleared of responsibility for two different shootings, one of which was deadly, according to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

Both shootings happened a few months ago.

The first shooting happened at Barfly in east El Paso in January, when a 22-year-old man was shot and killed.

The other shooting happened at IDK Bar in northeast El Paso in February, when a man was wounded.

The TABC said there were no altercations inside either bars before each shootings.

The TABC said the 19-year-old suspect at Barfly used a fake identification card to get into the bar, but no evidence suggested the man was drinking.

The owner of IDK Bar released new surveillance video that was taken inside the bar during the night of the shooting. The video shows there was no altercation between the shooter or victims.

The TABC said both bars acted within protocols during shooting situations.

The owners said the incidents have hurt their businesses, however.

“My business has dropped considerably,” said Isabel Salcido, the owner of Barfly. “You know, I’ve lost a lot of management and employees because of the shooting.”

“It makes me feel good that we’re not being held responsible for the shooting,” said Edward Valdez, the owner of IDK Bar. “But at the same time, the news affected us. I mean, I had to change my hours. We were staying open until 2 a.m. every day, but now I close at 10 p.m. Monday through Friday.”

Valdez said he has hired a doorman with a security scanner to check customers who enter the bar.

Salcido said she continues to hire off-duty El Paso County Sheriff’s Office deputies as security for her bar.

Both owners are doing what they can to try and bring business back to their bars.

“It’s just hard, because we have a bad rep because of what happened,” Salcido said. “But it’s always been a safe place before, and it’s continued to be a safe place now.”

“I just want people to know that I’ve taken more measures to make this place safer,” said Valdez, who has more than five cameras in his bar.

Valdez said he shut down IDK Bar for two weeks after the shooting to re-evaluate the security there.

“I was this close to shutting it down completely,” Valdez said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off