Northeast El Paso man in critical condition after getting hit by car

Photo of Miguel Ortiz Sanchez provided by his family.

A 65-year-old man was left with serious and life-threatening injuries after a pedestrian crash in northeast El Paso Saturday night, police say.

The El Paso Police Department says the Special Traffic Investigations Unit responded to assist northeast patrol officers in a crash involving a pedestrian on the 5800 block of Dyer.

Police said a 65-year-old man, Miguel Ortiz Sanchez, was attempting to cross Dyer from east to west.

Officials said at the same time a Ford Fusion, driven by 47-year-old Nancy Quidachay, was northbound on Dyer Street.

Police said Sanchez was not crossing Dyer Street at a controlled intersection and failed to let the Fusion pass by.

Police said that’s when the vehicle struck Sanchez in the left lane.

Sanchez received life-threatening injuries and was taken to University Medical Center for treatment, police said.

We spoke with Sanchez’s family. A family member who did not want to be identified told us, “He’s still in the hospital right now. He’s not stable. He’s still in critical condition right now. We don’t know what’s going to happen. My family is over there right now trying to see what’s going on.”

His family said Sanchez has a broken leg and has not woken up since the crash.

“He is a good uncle. That’s it. He always played with his grandchildren. We never expected this to happen to us,” the family member said. “All we can say is that we ask for the prayers. He’s fighting for his life, that’s all we know right now.”

Investigators say failing to cross at a controlled intersection, or using a cross walk, have been identified as contributing factors in this crash.

One witness, who did not want to be identified said, “I was just on my way home. There was a lot of cars stopped and this guy in front of me just put his hazard lights on and I just saw his body on the floor and the lady was trying to see if he was OK and stuff. Her window was all cracked like all her window. The owner from a car wash on the corner told me his head was like open. When they put him on the stretcher, he didn't move. Like he wasn't moving, his hands just fell."

She said many people stopped to render aid.

"That's the first time I saw something like this,” the witness said. “There was a lot of cars trying to help, but then the ambulance got here. People just driving by, they would stop and help. I just got off and we're checking if he was OK and stuff and they were calling an ambulance."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off